In the United States, the number one New Year’s resolution continues to be losing weight, followed by quitting smoking and/or drinking. Statistics have shown that roughly 50% will make a resolution, but approximately 20% will fail after one week, and 40% will fail after one month.
For those who decide to participate in fitness, exercise or sports activities, this time of year is usually marked by a large spike in gym or fitness facility membership and attendance. With this increased participation, the following issues can sometimes occur:
- Instructor-led group classes can be conducted beyond room capacity.
- Gym equipment can become damaged due to the increased rate of usage, resulting in failure.
- Inexperienced or new users may misuse equipment beyond its capacity or in a manner for which it was not designed.
- Parking lot, lighting, and security issues can result in accidents or slips and falls.
- In cold weather climates, heating and hot water system issues can create problems.
- Staffing can become overworked attempting to service the facility, resulting in their decreased ability to monitor individual member’s activities.
ARCCA has the experienced engineers to handle a variety of fitness facility incidents and issues ranging from equipment misuse, equipment failure, slips and falls, code provisions, and workplace safety.
All of us at ARCCA wish you a healthy, happy and safe New Year!